Hank

by Jen on December 15, 2009

We received this touching message from Birgit, Hank’s person.

hank129

This letter is long time coming. I had a boxer named Hank. He was very sick. I ordered a tag for him but it came too late. What I had printed on it was his name, phone number and Home At Last….. When the tag finally came in the mail, Hank was already gone. He was in renal failure and I was not going to let him suffer. He had a very hard life. He lived with two different people that abused and neglected him. When he came to me he was on death’s door step. He was brought to the vet and we were able to save him. He lived for another 8 months in a happy, healthy environment. When I ordered the tag I felt that my home was his “home at last”. After receiving the tag after Hank’s death it made me realize that he was “Home at Last”. I keep this tag hanging on my rear view mirror and know that Hank is truly “Home at last”. Thank you for sending it late and giving me the understanding that these dogs are only with us temporarily and we need to love them and be kind to them while they are here. Thank you for showing me that my Hank is OK…..

caroline January 1, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I feel you – what amazing gifts our dog-babies are…it was the hardest thing to lose my dog soul-mate, Zooey. Hank was beautiful. We are meant to rescue more, I suppose.

Dave January 22, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Wow…that was very touching. It actually brought tears to my eyes as I read it. I’m so glad that Hank spent his last months surrounded by love. I just can’t understand how anyone can abuse a trusting, loving animal. I was lucky enough to have a wonderful cat who was rescued as a kitten from an abusive situation. He was such a loving little guy who lived to the ripe old age of 20. I’m sure you already know of “Rainbow Bridge”. That poem lets me know that our pets do go on to a happier place.

lynn greenberg January 28, 2010 at 9:49 am

tears in my eyes as i read your ode to hank.

he’s a beautiful boy, i see hank’s boxer antic’s shining through in his picture…

thank you for giving him the life he’d been waiting for, he was a lucky boy to find you.

Mary October 20, 2010 at 5:40 pm

What a wonderful memory to keep close by. When my Sophie died in January 2009, I just couldn’t put her things away in a drawer. Her sweet, worn X’s and O’s collar is on the door handle of my office so it chimes to me and her “Love Puppy” tag is on my key chain. I’ll never forget her, but it is wonderful to have so many more times to remember her.

Bridget June 6, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Tears!!! Hank was a gorgeous boxer. Thank you for being his HOME AT LAST! You gave him a place where he felt loved and comfortable enough to let go.

Vickie Szala March 24, 2012 at 3:56 pm

SOBBING!! How right you are that we only get them temporarily and many forget that. I lost My Gray Sea in Nov.2011 and she was only 3. She was a Great Dane. Her brother,also a Great Dane,won himself a Fetching Tag when he was a puppy because he ate her cheap old tag of some sort. Yes ATE IT!! It was one of the contest(Thank You Fetching Tags) I knew going into it that she being a Great Dane would not live long as that is just the facts!! I did my research! They tend to have short life spans. However, I had no idea that when I would wake that next morning, (her being perfectly healthy when she went to sleep the night before),that would be the last night I ever spent with her. Love them while you can!! I learned how quickly they can go for no reason at all!! :-(

Brenda May 30, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Beautiful Tribute and tag. Hank knew his home with you was Home at last and stayed a bit to rest for the final journey while leaving an imprint on an earthly heart or two.