HaZeL’s Crazy 8!

by Jen on January 28, 2010

Oh Hazel, Hooter of my heart, I love thee so much that I can hardly count the ways.  But I’ll give it a shot.

I can honestly say that you are, without a doubt, the coolest dog I’ve ever known.

haz2003Hazel 2003

I love your- capital Z – Zest for Life and your tiger-sized tenacity.  No visitor goes ungreeted, no toy unplayed and no car seat unlicked when you’re around.  I’ve seen you charge wildly into the ocean waves, and delicately pee two claiming drops onto a moth carcass.  You’re always up for an ATV ride, some time under the covers, a new toy, an old toy, someone else’s toy, or a snack (as long as it isn’t wasabi flavor).  I love your big angsty sighs, and your absolute joy at putting on clothes, only to try to rub them off on the rug seconds later.  You have dutifully modeled dog tags and costumes and worked parties – scarfing up spilled drinks and dropped olive pits like you were whelped in an old liquor box.   I love your stumpy tail that wags almost imperceptibly and your brazen farts.  I love your velvet skin and your shiny black fur, polished by the tears of those you’ve consoled – leaning against a leg like a solemn-faced little touchstone of grief.  (ok, those were my tears, and thanks for being there.)

styhaza

and Hazel, nobody does a better Stomp the Yard trick than you do.

Happy, Happy Crazy 8 to you.  I am so Lucky to have had the last seven years with you!

Shanda January 29, 2010 at 1:37 pm

that was one of the greatest tributes I’ve ever read. It probably doesn’t hurt that I adore Bostons. Happy Birthday Hazel!

Jen January 29, 2010 at 1:45 pm

thanks so much – I’ll tell her for you!

Dave January 29, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Hazel is amazing. I’ve got a 1 1/2 y.o. Boston named Stella and your description of Hazel is bang on to my little fur baby. I just found your blog via Pioneer Woman and am just loving all the great pictures on here.
BTW, Stella used to have wicked gas problems until we switched her to grain-free food. She’s pretty much gas-free now. If you’re interested, we feed her Orijen and she also loves Parallel grain-free treats.
Looking forward to more pictures in the future.

Jen February 2, 2010 at 6:14 pm

thanks, Dave. Hazel’s been grain free for all the years that she’s been with us. she’s a brazen farter, not a frequent farter. When she first joined our pack, a longtime Boston Terrorist owner asked me if she had loud snores and toots and I said, “Nope, not my Hazel!” The lady just laughed and said she must be really young. . .

ana poe February 4, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Happy Birthday, Hazel. You don’t look a day over 7 ;)

Stefanie Slaughter January 22, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Hazel you are adorable! I admire your love of life and all it entails! Keep on being the amazing girl you are!