Ophelia & Luke

by Jen on July 18, 2010

Once upon a time, there was a dog named Ella.  She spent her days bouncy bounding after balls & basking in the love of her family.  With her sudden illness & loss, her people found that Ella had  stretched their hearts so wide that she’d made room for not just one new pup that needed a home, but two. . .

AP12

After Ella passed, we came home to a dogless house. It was suggested that we borrow a neighbor’s Shiba Inu, and the visit sealed the deal that we needed another dog in the house to fill that physical void.  Not to replace Ella, but to snuggle me at nap time, and to fill this house with a dog again.

ForElla6

Ophie is our adopted pit bull puppy.  She is 4 months old & she is missing a toe on her left front paw.

Ophi-Wan Kenophi

We found our Ophelia through a rescue in a Chicago that gave her the nickname “Ophi-Wan Kenophi”.  And it stuck.  And the name stuck, as “Ophelia” means “Help”, & she sure has proven that she is a huge help with allowing our hearts to grieve Ella in a less painful way.

A04

Luke loves peanut butter, belly rubs, and the human touch.  But he doesn’t have the jedi mind tricks down for those quite yet.  He will just plop himself at you and on you.  He is very generous with an abundance of soft bully kisses, and he is a total people slut.

A05

He’s learning how to catch flying objects with his mouth (flying objects=bugs, but don’t tell him. . .)

And did I mention that he simply LOVES kids?  Yes.  Kids are undoubtedly his most favorite type of human. :)

AL02

Ophelia’s tagline:  Ophi-wan Kenophi

Luke’s tagline:  Ophi-wan’s Padawan

Shauna (Fido & Wino | R.O.A.R. Squad) July 21, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Your pups are so gorgeous! Congrats on your new additions :)

Lisa Young July 22, 2010 at 9:29 am

I love your dogs and I love their names. I am sorry for your loss of Ella. I know how big a hole that leaves not only in your heart and soul but in your home. After I lost my Bear, I adopted another big dog, then two more. Not replacements but additions that help my heart to grow even bigger.

Wanda July 22, 2010 at 11:32 am

Wow, I’m crying now as I’m typing this. These two pups are very lucky to have found you. They are going to bring you immeasurable pleasure and unconditional love.

I’m so sorry about Ella. Your situation with Ella is very, very similar to our Sadie Mae’s sudden death to cancer. Sadie Mae was our very first pibble and everyone that met her, fell madly in love with her But no one fell more madly in love with her than I. Two days after lost her, we were looking through the SPCA pibbles that were up for adoption. It seemed like the only way to get through grieving for Sadie Mae. And we too, instead of just bringing one home, decided at the last moment that there were two that we could not do without.

Rebecca July 26, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Thank you so much. It was incredibly difficult to lose Ella and make the decision we had to make.
But she sent us two of the best puppies in the entire world. She made sure not to leave us without.
And boy do they keep me on my toes! :)

Thanks, Jen, for the wonderful entry.
You always put your entries together so wonderfully. :)

L. Ashley July 30, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Both beautiful dogs. Love the pic of Luke caching bugs. I have a Rottie that will jump 4ft in the air to catch flies, she hates flies.

Kelley & Lola August 18, 2010 at 2:49 pm

This read made my day, I will be sharing it with a friend that I have to talk to about her need to make a very difficult decision for her super sick and uncomfortable Keisha <3 <3 <3 Love is the only way <3 <3 <3 thank you for sharing some.