the Greatest

by Jen on October 25, 2010

Meet Great Grandma, Virginia.

pk1010great

My great grandmother, Virginia, moved in with me on Sept 29th, which just happens to be my birthday. . .best present EVER!  She wanted to be here, nobody thought a woman of her age (101) could leave her former elder care home, make the 8 hour road trip and readjust to a new house (she’s blind!), but she was determined.  She asked my grandmother to visit her and while my grandmother was en route to visit, Great Grandma got herself kicked out of the facility – Seriously!  She is marvelously smart.  I could be home to care for her all day, so off to NC she came.  Exactly where she wanted to be! Brilliant, huh?!?

Meet Dozer.

pkdozerg

My Great Grandmother has always LOVED animals.  She has always had dogs, cats, horses and ponies.  She hasn’t had one of her own since she went into a facility, but still loved them.  Hospice used to bring her a dog to visit and she adored it.  She was an animal rights activist before such a thing existed.  She LOVES animals to this day.  I haven’t seen her grin so big without dogs (or the horses) around her!

pk1010dozera

Dozer used to come to work with me at the Assisted Living Facility at least twice a week.  He is fabulous with elderly people.  He’s a complete spazz – a playful wiggle butt – with those who are strong and youthful.  But he’s a different animal when he is near old people.  He is gentle and calm and they have done everything to him – pulled ears, run over his tail with wheelchairs, poked his eyes – you name it.

pk1010dozerd

So they have been a perfect pair! She is so delighted to live in a home with dogs again, and has told me over and again that he is her dog and she doesn’t care if he is my favorite – and he is – I have two others!
She and Dozer are fast friends.  He lays in her room, on the rug by her bed all day.  When she is up, he is right next to her wheelchair.  Yesterday she was so very tired, but I could not get her to fall asleep.  I tried music, pulling the blinds, rearranging her, everything I could think of.  She could not go to sleep. Then she said it was a shame I made Dozer sleep on her floor.  That did it, he climbed in bed, laid his head on her legs and the two slept!

pk1010dozerc

I couldn’t believe it.  It took her no time to fall asleep with him, and he was quite happy.  The big fat head Dozer cuddled her to sleep. Man do I love that dog! He just always knows what to do!

When I asked her to tell me what she thought of him she said “He is a great big, beautiful dog. And he is my great big beautiful dog!”

pk1010dozerb

Tagline:  I Lick Old People.

Sheri October 25, 2010 at 5:05 pm

What a great story! Wonderful that you are able to take your great grandmother in, and wonderful that she and Dozer are so taken with each other. Truly heartwarming.

Bridget October 25, 2010 at 8:11 pm

That definitely brought a tear to my eye – YOU ROCK DOZER!

Christine October 26, 2010 at 12:37 pm

That is so awesome!! Good boy Dozer…and good for you Great Grandma! :)

Wanda October 26, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Wow, what an amazing story. I’m smiling and teary eyed all at the same time. What a good boy Dozer is. I think Dozer is every bit as smart as Great Grandma. Dogs just know things….

Patti A October 27, 2010 at 9:39 am

What a heartwarming story that is. There is nothing like a dog snuggled in for a nap. Love that tag line.

Von October 30, 2010 at 4:13 pm

How sweet – they were meant for each other!

Dianne November 1, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Crystal, this is awesome!! You rock! Matching grandma and dozer was genius. Nothing like having a dog for a pet!!

Lisa November 1, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Crystal,
you and Dozer are such an inspiration to so many people. Grandma is lucky to have you both in her life. I know you are just as lucky and blessed to have HER in your lives! Keep up the awesome work =)

Crystal November 1, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Thank you everyone for the kind words and encouragement! The Great is comfortable and happy and preparing for her departure from us…with her dog right by her side! Such peace we should all know!
She is such a beautiful person and has been such an amazing life teacher to many! I am honored to have her in my life, and be with her during her journey.

Jen November 1, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Great Grandma Virginia is such an inspiration, thank you, Crystal, for sharing her story with us.

Joyce November 2, 2010 at 10:07 am

I love this dog and my Mom pictured with Dozer. He has also become my friend too. Go Dozer!!!

Sarah Kosinnski November 2, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Oh I got something in my eye!!! Thats what I told my fiance just now when he asked me what was wrong lol.
I am so touched by this as my grandma passed a couple of years ago and she was the same way. She loved everydog I brought into see her. :) I LOVE THIS!

Dawn J. Taylor November 4, 2010 at 4:47 am

This was beautiful to read!! Thank you for sharing it :)

Jeanne Torma November 4, 2010 at 8:57 pm

This story is so beautiful, it so great to hear of such kindness in a world filled with so much hate. We should all have hearts like you, your grandma, and Dozer.

Dawa Dulma November 6, 2010 at 10:47 am

Ditto Jeanne T! You lift us up by sharing your story.
Love to you all!

Annie November 20, 2010 at 4:52 pm

This story melts my heart, I cry each time I share it with someone! So much love!