Gladys Makes a Wish. . .

by Jen on April 11, 2011

Somebody is 2 years old today & she has a birthday wish that YOU can make come true.

pk411gflw

Here’s the never before seen footage from our Milk Pants commercial

Gladys would like for you to make it go viral.

pk411gpls

Please.

Toni Barry April 11, 2011 at 11:49 am

Happy Birthday Gladys!!

Leslie April 11, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Happy Birthday beautiful!

Bridget April 11, 2011 at 7:19 pm

OMG!!! Gladys you are the most amazing thing EVER! I love how she was just so patient & waited up on the hay bail the entire time, even when the goats were jumping all over the place. LOVE YOU GLADYS MILK PANTS & Happy 2nd Birthday!

Deanna April 11, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Happy Birthday, Gladys! Hope it’s an amazing year!!!

Annie April 11, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Happy birthday sweet Gladys!! How did you get her to stay?

Emma April 12, 2011 at 12:41 pm

What a well trained girlie and a really rock solid stand stay.

However Gladys looks distinctly uncomfortable and unhappy with the goats leaping about and drinking from the bottles so I won’t be promoting this. Call me picky but just because we ‘can’ do something and even if we train it positively, does not mean we ‘should’ do that thing.

Ana Poe April 12, 2011 at 1:40 pm

How I love this video! It still cracks me up that in real life, Gladys “adopted” the kids and by taking care of them she became a more confident dog.

Emma, if you knew Gladys in real life you’d know that no amount of training could have kept her there if she was uncomfortable. I’m sorry that’s your take, because I see a cute little bulldog and the baby goats that she loves.

Jen April 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm

in response to Emma’s concern that Gladys “looks distinctly uncomfortable and unhappy”:
Actually, Gladys was not trained for her session with the Milk Pants. (and even now, I would not call her “well trained” unless compared with an untrained dog, but she is certainly good at being still.) The whole Milk Pants idea evolved from the fact that Gladys was completely obsessed with the baby goats, she licked them from the moment they were born, and accompanied us to bottle feed them 3 times a day – never missing a session. She cleaned all the little dribbles of milk as they drank & just adored them, lying super still on the ground while they pounced on her when they were small & running with them as they got bigger & bouncier. We joked that she would love to feed them herself, if only there was a way for her to hold the bottles. Practice for the video consisted of a failed attempt with a rigged bottle harness – she was too short & bottle angle was wrong, and what you see in the footage. She was less than a year old, and call me a bad trainer, but the words stand/stay were not in her vocabulary. She just stood on the hay & wore the pants while we taped & arranged goats.
As for her “distinctly uncomfortable and unhappy” look, she looks like that a lot of the time, despite her glorious, glad life. She has a pretty soft & shy personality that contrasts oddly with her moments of bull in a china shop.

Emma April 12, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Thanks for answering my comment – I must point out here when I say ‘looks’ thats all it is, ‘looks’ I don’t know her. I know if one of MY dogs gave me that look I would think ‘hold up, is what I am doing necessary…’ because my dogs don’t look at me like that. However I do not have a bullterrier (I have a Deerhound who can do THE best sad-dog Eeyore impression though!) so if thats Gladys’s normal expression then do forgive me.

I would rather ask and challenge something than take it on face value as ‘yep this is great’ when there is so SO much around that isnt -(not that I thought this was!), but also so many people around who would copy and do things with their animals that they TRULY are not enjoying (just take a look at the video of the dog getting told off for possibly having eaten some cat treats doing the rounds on facebook/youtube), and think its fine/funny.

Glad Gladys luffs goaties, give her a birthday snuggle from me!